December 2, 2019 | Recipes
Chef Justin’s Homemade Fish Cakes
This is a breakfast staple that I grew up with and I’m happy to share it with you!
- 1 ½ pounds salt dried cod
- ¼ cup butter
- 1 small chopped onion
- 6 cups mashed potato
- 1 beaten egg
- 2 tbsp dried savoury (optional)
- ½ tsp black pepper
- Soak the salt cod in cold water overnight (refrigerated).
- Simmer the salt cod in boiling water for about 15 minutes. Drain the water off the fish and allow the fish to cool to almost room temperature.
- When the fish is cool, flake it apart with a fork into small pieces.
- In a sauté pan, melt the butter over medium heat.
- Add the onions and cook until they are softened.
- Add the flaked fish along with the mashed potato, egg, pepper and savoury.
- Mix together until well combined, then form into small cakes and roll in flour.
- Fry the fish cakes in canola oil over medium heat until golden brown on both sides.
Note: Can be served with a poached egg and hollandaise sauce for more of a brunch style meal.